Education standards won’t rise with continued cuts, Plaid Cymru warns
Figures show that schools in Conwy have lost over £8million over the last 4 years.
During a Council meeting on Thursday, Plaid Cymru councillors challenged the leader of Conwy Council that education standards in the county won’t rise with ongoing brutal cuts.
According to the National Education Union, nearly every School in Conwy has seen their budgets cut dramatically since 2015. Earlier this year, Headteachers warned that classrooms will get larger, building will fall into disrepair and redundancies will be made if funding doesn’t improve.
Speaking at Conwy Council’s chamber Plaid Cymru Councillor, Wyn Jones, said;
“The leader of the Council has today said that he seeks to work closer with schools to improve education standards in the county, which we’d all agree with.
“But his Cabinet are looking at cutting school budget more dramatically next year, which will impact on their ability to offer the county’s children a high-standard education.
“We must safeguard education funding and invest in the futures of our young people. They deserve better.”
© Copyright Conwy Online